Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Made it to DC

Well, after a perfect flight from Birmingham to Charlotte, NC, I boarded the next plane to DC only to sit on the plane on the runway for 3 hrs because of the weather in DC! Luckily, I was sitting between two awesome girls and we kept pretty busy chatting and working puzzles and stuff. After learning that there was a Department of Transportation "3 hr rule" and they were getting ready to take us back to the gate and cancel our flight, they decided to take off.

So I finally made it to DC. I got to the hotel and couldn't find the rest of the group because I was late. However, my roommate, which i would not meet until bedtime had already set up shop and I was a little worried I wouldn't get to meet her and that my rooster alarm clock would wake her up without us even knowing each other. ha ha ha.

I finally ran into a couple of people and we decided to eat together and we just so happened to find the rest of the group. We all ate at a pizzeria and chatted about our backgrounds. Turns out, this is an amazingly interesting group of people that is equally excited about our task at hand. However, I'm the only person from way down south. So while everyone talks about where they're from and who they know in each city, nobody seems to know anything about Alabama. That kind of makes it fun though and because of my accent, everyone tries to guess where I'm from. They love the country stories I have as much as I love hearing about their snowboarding, moose encounters, and such.

We all sat around and had a few drinks and talked about what we look forward to the most and while I still haven't met everyone, I'm around people now that are taking the same huge step that I am, and I'm more excited than ever to embark on this adventure!

FYI....we should be getting a cell phone soon after we get to Salone and I'll post the number on the blog, but we won't have internet access until the second weekend that we are in country. I'll update as soon as possible.

Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the update! Maybe they should consider changing a 3 hour rule to a 2 hour rule.

    ReplyDelete